Mateo started preschool last week. He goes to a litte "church-basement" type place over in Hyde Park two mornings a week now.
On his first day, Daddy and I took him to school. We dropped Mac off at his school first, to the daily chorus from the backseat of "No school, I no like school." (Just so you don't think we are mean and horrible parents, he says this every single day while we are waiting in car line -- and every single day when I pick him up he says "I like school, mama. I go again sometime." To which I always reply -- How about tomorrow?) The whole time Mac is lamenting school Te is saying "I go too. I go to school, too." Still, I expected some hesitation when we actually dropped him of with a bunch of strangers. Didn't happen. We walked him to the door, he grabbed the teachers hand, took one last, very brief look back and was down the hall for his first day. We just stood there stunned, proud and quite frankly, slightly rejected.
We grabbed some coffee, made our thrift store rounds and then went to pick him up. As the teacher handed him off to us, she reported that he did "excellent" He went to the potty by himself (short, bragging side note here -- Te is the only kid in his class that is potty-trained - Yes, I am feeling like mother of the year :-), he helped pick up toys and while several other children were crying and generally hating life, he was happily playing with the markers and the kitchen. To quote his teacher "he was a delight" I repeat, a DELIGHT!
Yes we were somewhat shocked, yes we asked her if she was talking about our child, our little monkey, Mr. Te. She was. We left with a remarkable glow about us that surely said to the world "We are the greatest parents ever....our child is a delight."
When we called Mamaw to report our angel child's first day of school and Aaron started with "we wanted to call and tell you about Te's first day of school." She replied with "Did he get expelled?"
Oh no Mamaw...he was a delight!!! :-)
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment