About 2 weeks ago Mac started saying "I need my own tat." No, he wasn't asking to be inked. He needs his own cat. He loves cats. Our friend Danielle has a cat and he is obsessed with it. When we visit, the cat doesn't get a minute's peace. Mac carries it, hugs it, kisses it and says "It's al-wight. It's al-wight" whenever Mateo comes by and scares the cat with his enthusiasm for life.
I hate cats. They smell. They make me sneeze. They make my eyes water. They make me itch.
But I love Mac. And I couldn't resist his persistent plea "I need my own tat."
Today Mama went to an all-day seminar, so it was just the boys. We ran some errands and went to Petsmart, but we didn't find the right cat there. We drove to the opposite side of the city to Petsmart number two where we spent some time playing with two potential cats. Here's what we learned: If you ever go to Petsmart to adopt a cat you should realize that "Good with kids" literally translates "hisses, bites and will try to claw your eyes out." My skin was itching and my throat was scratchy as we got back in the car - stupid cats. Mac was seriously disappointed. He kept saying "I need my own tat, Dada" and "Take it home."
So we made one last stop at the SPCA where we found Whiskers (pictures forth coming and name to be changed).
We get her home, and set up her litter box and food. Within five minutes Mateo dumps the food and water all over the carpet in an attempt to feed the cat who is hiding in terror under Mac's bed. Then while I'm cleaning that up, he goes in the other room and scatters litter everywhere and decides to do a taste test. Yuck!
I put Mateo down for a nap, so that Mac and I can spend some quality time with the cat. They're curled up in his bed. Mac has a huge grin on his face as he's petting Whiskers. Whiskers is purring. I'm beaming because my son is so happy and simultaneously wondering if hives will follow my itching and scratchy breathing.
Then just when the moment couldn't get any better. Mac looks at me and says,
"Dada, I need my own dog"
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I want to see the new tat! I can't wait to hear all the stories about this new adventure!
D'Whisk?
Post a Comment